Bye-Bye E. Brown

Today we wrapped up our time with Encyclopedia Brown by watching an episode of the TV show from 1990 (the kids were pretty confused by the computers featured. When we paused the video to review what we knew and our thoughts, Gia was pretty sure that Bugs Meany had stolen the faster car, but didn’t know how to prove it. Max agreed that Bugs probably took it, since he knew his car wasn’t fast enough to win and maybe even disguised Davies’ car to drive it in the race. Paolo thought that KK might have done it, since there was food and paint (grease) on the tarp like there was on her hands. Who was right? Ask when they get home and maybe they’ll be able to tell you 😉 We also wrapped up by drawing the cover’s to our Encyclopedia Brown books, which was a great chance to remember all the mysteries we had solved. Teddy asked if they could look through the books, which was a great time. Yianni was happy to find one he remembered and decided to draw a scene from that story. Tove, on the other hand, decided that instead of drawing a specific scene, she’d draw her favorite character: Sally. We’ll miss you, Encyclopedia Brown and crew.

We started our morning off with a problem near and dear to the class’s heart: candy. We were trying to find out how many pieces of candy Paolo and Luka collected, so I started by drawing Paolo’s candy. When I started to cross them out for Luka’s candy, Rebecca stopped me and asked why I was taking candy away. Anja explained that, since Luka had more candy, I needed to draw more candy. Then, we tried to divide the candy evenly, we realized it would be easier to count them off and label the pieces. As we got ready to see how many each of them got, Niki reminded me to just count Luka’s, not Luka and Paolo’s, since that would be 22 pieces again. Great problem solving everyone!

I’m sending home a book order sheet today, which should be returned or filled online by November 15th. If you want to view the book order online, you can see it here. There are a number of great books in this flyer that I wanted to highlight. First of all, a number of students are reaching the point where they can read simple books independently, and The Adventures of Otto series is one that we have in the classroom and the students enjoy. The order also has a new Mo Willems paperback, who is always popular. Finally, how could there be a book about real life dragons and I don’t highlight it? (I love you, Godzilla!) Check it out and if something catches your eye, consider placing an order. Have a great weekend everyone!