Spinning Our Webs 1-19-18

Today was totally dominated by our story project! Our chapter title was “A Miracle”, which made us discuss what would count as a miracle. Tove thought that seeing a rainbow and snow at the same time would be a miracle, while Niki was excited thinking about the classroom miraculously being filled with chocolate. Teddy explained to the class that, when I erased the ‘0’ from the ‘Chapter 10’ on the board yesterday, I would have to write a ‘1’ in the blank spot. We finally found out why Charlotte tore out the middle of her web, it was to write “Some Pig” in it. “Her plan was to trick people,” as Timo explained to the class. Her plan seemed to work, as people came from all over to see Wilbur. We are all relieved that Wilbur is safe now.

Our voting today was quite exciting. We voted on which was the best exercise from yesterday: sit-ups, curls, or pushups. Sokrates was torn, as he had 2 favorites and could only vote for 1. We had a lot of discussion about what made something the best. Anja voted for pushups, since they make you the strongest. Timo thought the curls were best because you got to use the medicine ball. Rebecca thought the curl was the best too, but because it rhymed with girl. Then, Bisola realized that there were only 11 votes, so there was still one person that hadn’t voted yet. Once voting ended, Paolo pointed out that only person voted for sit-ups, Yianni (we also discussed why it is cool to be the only person voting for something, since it means you are being brave). Our final tallies were 6 for curls, 5 for push-ups, 1 for sit-ups. Anja asked if one of our summary sentences could be “Pushups barely lost, since they only lost by 1 vote.” Bisola added that it would have been a tie if they could have moved Yianni’s vote to pushups. This level of reasoning is simply incredible. Realizing what each vote stands for, seeing how moving a vote would change the totals, everything, is just blowing my mind daily with their mathematical reasoning.

Finally, our big exploration today was making our own webs. Taking our inspiration from Charlotte, we put something we thought was awesome or a miracle on the plate. Sokrates wanted to write “Sokrates is cool” on his, which I thought showed a great understanding of “Some pig” in the story. Jerome used his name tag to copy his name super neat so everyone could read it. Timo wanted to write “Timo’s project” on his plate and sounded it out; he only came to me for help writing out the ‘J’. Gia explained she got a great idea from Niki and made it a Halloween plate, since spiderwebs are part of Halloween. Teddy wrote “TMP” on his plate and told me it stood forĀ  “Teddy and Petro”, which was pretty cute. Once it came time to lace up our spiderwebs, it was quite a challenge for some of us. Yianni said he kept his easy by not punching extra holes like some of his classmates did. Tove finished hers up and made sure to tighten up the string at the end by taping it down. This was a great activity for the class and really challenged some of their fine motor skills.

Our final interview for the week was Sokrates: “I loved when we played the new game in gym. Coach Matt didn’t tell us the name of the game, but there were defenders and people attacking the hoop, which was Earth. We switched sides and both teams won!”

Have a great weekend everyone and see you on Monday!